Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The beginning

So My story starts on Aug. 20th, 2010 when my mom took me for a regular routine check up , she took me to a new Dr. who was listening to my heart when she heard a Heart murmur. She asked My mom if she knew I had a Heart murmur , My mom said NO! She had a concerned tone in her voice and in her eyes and said she wanted to do a EKG .So the next thing I knew I was hooked up to a bunch of wires. And she then said I needed to be seen by a Pediatric Cardiologist @ Primary Childrens Hospital A.S.A.P I'm not going to lie I was scared. She told my mom don't wait go home and call right away.My mom asked what is a murmur and she said its a HOLE in the heart , We were SHOCKED! We left the Dr's and on the drive home we both cried I was scared I didn't understand what was going on, neither of us did. When we got home my Mom made the call to the cardiologist and we couldn't get in for another 3 wks. So I tried to make life go on as usual but it was not easy for any of us. I have my father a sister and a boyfriend whom were all worried for me. I started a new school and threw all my concentration or tried to any how into it , until Sept. 14th came around which was the day we went to Primary Childrens . When we arrived they hooked me up to all those wires again and did another EKG and confirmed the murr, murr and then the cardiologist came in and examined me and asked me questions like do I get out of breath easy when I run , and I told him yes I also do when I walk up the stairs and my heart feels like its popping out of my chest as if I have just ran a around the block when I'm just relaxing watching T.V , all these things I thought were normal because I have lived this way for 14 and half yrs. He then told us he thought I had something call ASD or ATRAIL SEPTAL DEFECT its a Congenital Heart Defect something I was born with. And I would need surgery. They could do surgery one of two ways . 1. A catheter could be placed in my leg and a device could plug the hole if there was enough rim on either side of the hole, or 2. Open Heart surgery. The only way to make this decision was to do and ultrasound on the Heart . so the next day Sept. 15th we went in for the Ultrasound and seen my Heart , the hole was massive and there was no rim on either side of the hole and the only option was Open Heart Surgery. Again We were SHOCKED! So a month ago I was getting ready to start my freshman year of High school and that was my ONLY worry and now I was being told I was having Open Heart surgery . The Dr. said The surgeons would be in contact with us and would schedule a date for the surgery it could be 6 weeks out . So more waiting , not sure we could handle this... to be continued........

No comments:

Post a Comment