Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Day before surgery/ day of

The days seemed to go by quick and before I knew it,  I was at the hospital for my pre-op.
My appointment was at 1pm, My whole family came and supported me. My mom had gotten a letter in the mail telling us what steps we had to do first. So first we had to go to Out Patient and they gave me that little bracelet that says your name and birth date.  Than I had to go to get blood taken my sister Kiley was taking pictures of me along my journey. So she came in the back with me, and the nurse and a lady who was there to assist the nurse. The nurse asked how I was doing, and why I was there. I told her my story and she signed my book. Me and mom had went to the mall to get a book by Paul Cardall, its called Before My Heart Stops. Its a story about his life and what he has gone through. I was going to have people sign it, along the way of my journey. Anyways, They took four different things of blood. I don't really mind getting blood drawn, its never scared me and it doesn't hurt. After the blood taking, we all went upstairs to meet my Nurse practitioner  Annie. She just checked over me, made sure that my body was healthy enough for the surgery tomorrow because two weeks before my surgery I had gotten sick with a cold. I had to be taken out of school and kept home so I would get better. I took vitamins everyday, took airborne to make me feel better and to take the cold away..I did my school work at my home before my term ended which was before Thanksgiving break. And I was going to be in the hospital for Thanksgiving.
Annie went over some stuff and how my surgery was going to go down. At that moment I wasn't really scared or worried. I  felt kind of relived, and excited that it was finally here. I would be fixed. After that we went down for a x-Ray. Having everyone I met sign my book. The x-ray was easy and the guy was really nice. I felt comfortable in the hospital, Ive always wanted to work as a Nurse. So feeling comfortable was a good thing, it made me less scared. Later that day I came home and took a nap, I felt exhausted the last couple months. I  than woke up and watched TV with my dad. It was about this competition  where these guys have to build cars that will go over water. It was really awesome. Than I got a piece of pie, We had a huge Thanksgiving dinner the week before, since I wouldnt,t be able to do it like usual my Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, grandparents from both sides all came to support me. I had a wonderful time, it showed me how much my family really loved me!! <3
I couldn't eat after 12am and drink after 4am. I stopped after 10pm And than before I knew it, I had to go to bed. I had to get up at 4:30am. We had to pick up my boyfriend Josh and head all the way up to Primary Childrens.  It was hard for me to sleep that night, I only slept about 4 hours. I remember waking up and feeling this worry and I was nervous. I got up and got ready waited for everyone else to do the same, than packed some cloths, toothbrush, and other items I would need, And than spent sometime with my puppy Bullet, I wouldn't be seeing him for a little while. And than we left to pick up my boyfriend and head up to the hospital.
It was time, we arrived and shortly my Aunt Lynne and my cousins Chris, (4) Jaymarie (5) and James Showed up to support me. I was happy to see my family, but I just kept thinking about my surgery..
 My mom and dad went up and got me all registered in, and my mom said I would be with them for another 1 or 2 hours, but she was wrong. 10 minutes later they call me back and they wont let My sister Kiley or my boyfriend Josh. It made me mad!!!
But I got changed in a room with my mom, and it was time to met my Anesthesiologist and my Surgeon Dr. Kaza.  My Anesthesiologist came in and we talked, he told us what he was going to do and why hes there. He told me there was a bunch of different smells and I choose Spearmint!  Dr.kaza came in and told what he was going to do. I already knew what he was going to do, some things he mentioned I didn't know, but i'm glad he told me. And before I knew it, it was time. I walked out in my gown that drowned me, and my whole family walked with me down to where they were allowed too. Than I said my byes. and hugged and didn't cry. I felt strong. When I turned around and walked through the doors that lead through another hallway, leaving my family behind. Hoping I would see them all again. I did not feel nervous, like I didn't earlier. I felt like I was powerful, I felt so strong and excited. and when I laid down on that surgery table and breathed in the Anesthesia I was ready for this. My body was ready for this. I was ready to have a 2nd change at life, and I did.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your journey MaKinley, even though I was there the whole time, and you've explained the parts to me that I wasn't there for. I love reading it all from your exact point of view.

    ~Josh H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I read this my sweet daughter I can't help but shed some tears :( The emotion's come over me. But I feel your strength that I knew you had in you! As I remember you walking away from me down that hall I always wanted to know how you felt inside and now I do , you are a strong one Micky! Sent here to give us all strength and along this journey you have and continue to everyday! I am so proud of you ! You will Inspire so many this I know :) I Love you , Mommy <3

    ReplyDelete